• About HigletFilms

Higlet

HigletFilms was created in 2010 by Mary Higgins (WorldofHiglet) and hubby, Paul, as a showcase for their experimental web video/new media/webseries/web tv work.

Their new webseries, 'Mind My Brains, Darling!' is now showing on Blip.tv.

• Mind My Brains, Darling! Season 1

• Goodnight Princess Omnibus (Acts 1-3)

• Interview with Felicia Day

Why we are submitting ‘Mind My Brains, Darling!’ to the IAWTV Awards

news, webseries

IAWTV Awards logo
I’ve been writing about webseries for over three years. Our first webseries aired in August 2008. We’ve been around.

When the IAWTV first launched I was excited about the prospect, not because I particularly wanted to join, but because I could see the need for a unified voice for this growing industry. The first Streamy Awards were stunning on many levels and it felt like webseries were coming into their own as a legitimate, growing force in the world of entertainment.

Still, I didn’t feel like the IAWTV had anything to offer a small, independent creator like me. I was quite happy to carry on supporting the space, blogging about things that interested me and making my videos. When the second Streamy Awards happened I was knocked out of my complacency. I wrote about my reaction to the show and then a list of things I wanted to see from the IAWTV and the Streamy Awards. I reached out to Jenni Powell and Kim Evey and helped with the first Celebrate The Web event.

In January 2011 I joined the IAWTV because I felt progress was being made. Elizabeth Flack in particular was key in answering my questions and I really appreciate the work that she did for the IAWTV. It was an honour to be nominated to stand for the Board of Directors, and through my candidate statement and video I reiterated my desire to see the IAWTV truly international with support and outreach for all creators.

It has taken a tremendous amount of work from people in the IAWTV and beyond to make the first IAWTV Awards a reality. It was a brave decision to hold it at CES and I do understand that bringing it to such a huge international stage should provide a great platform to showcase all that is good and great in our space.

But I must admit, I was a little disappointed when the announcement was made. Again, there seemed to be no place for the small, independent creator – particularly one that is outside the U.S. How did it benefit me and my work, and what were the chances of even getting a nomination when there wasn’t even an award for innovation?

Soul-searching. I’ve been doing it.

Why should I submit ‘Mind My Brains, Darling!’ to the IAWTV Awards?

The reasons are actually simple:

• ‘Mind My Brains, Darling!’ is a serious work of art, conceived and executed as an experimental series using a new filming technique called ‘BodyLine’. We developed a whole new way of filming, and that makes me incredibly proud.
  • At screenings at CSTS in Vancouver, VCON and Geek Girl Con we heard from people who really enjoyed our show and were intrigued with BodyLine.
  • We worked professionally, finished the project and learned many valuable lessons. It was a team effort and the whole team deserves to be recognized for their contributions, as shown on the many posts and discussions we have had about the people who have helped us. Submitting is a way to honour their work.
  • As a member of the IAWTV who claims to be active and wants to further the aims of the organization, I feel that NOT submitting my series would be a slight.
  • During our recent forays at VCON and Geek Girl Con we have met many creators and fans, and interviewed a great many people for our upcoming documentary about webseries. Many people had never watched a webseries. Many didn’t know what one was. Of the people who did watch them, most found them through friend recommendations. We need to get a wider circle of people involved in webseries, and CES could well be the way to do that.

Do I think we will be nominated?
That is simple: no. I think there is zero chance of that happening, but that should not stop me from entering. On a financial level it is absolutely foolish to enter, but if a guarantee of success was the only reason to do anything we would never have moved to Canada and enjoyed all the wonderful things that have flowed from that.

If you have read this far then I hope you will take the time to do two things:

1. Leave a comment telling me if you agree/disagree/got bored about the whole thing
2. Watch an episode of ‘Mind My Brains, Darling!’. To make it simple, here’s one:

Thanks for listening.

19 Comments

16 Comments

1. Megan Lynch  •  Oct 25, 2011 @10:47 pm

Great blog post. It’s nice to read a potted history of your involvement with IAWTV and your thought process behind entering. I completely understand the difficulty of having to decide between wanting to promote your work and submit it to things, yet worrying about the costs involved in doing so.

Best of luck to Mind My Brains, Darling! I hope you are pleasantly surprised by how it all turns out.

2. admin  •  Oct 25, 2011 @11:00 pm

Thank you for all your support, Megan. We’ll submit before the deadline and see where it goes!

3. Elisar  •  Oct 26, 2011 @7:43 am

Perhaps eventually they will have an International Awards like they do with the Emmys – they dont have to have been seen in the US just available in their home territory. This would also give a reason for all those series not in English a chance too.

4. admin  •  Oct 26, 2011 @7:52 am

I think there is no International Award because it is the International Academy of Web Television – and therefore represents all countries. At the moment there isn’t anything official being done by the IAWTV in any country other than the US, but hopefully that will change. Any webseries from any country can submit to the awards.

5. Mark Gardner  •  Oct 26, 2011 @8:29 am

Great write-up! THanks for sharing everything. I’m also submitting and I can honestly say I’m doubtful I’ll get a nomination either. The space has changed a LOT since I first released. But I too think it’s important.

In terms of the “International” aspect… we specifically didn’t include an international category because we felt it went without saying. Any series, any where is eligible. We wanted the entire community to be a part of each category. Our hope is that we’ll have shows from Asia, UK, USA, etc. all nominated together in the same category. We’ve gotten international submissions and I’m hopeful to see how it all pans out.

And Elisar… I still think you shuold consider submitting TVG.

6. Rob  •  Oct 26, 2011 @11:31 am

Great article,
    Joanna and I have had many long discussion about the IAWTV.
    This mirrors a lot of how I feel.
    Thanks!

7. admin  •  Oct 26, 2011 @11:37 am

Hi Mark, I think not putting an International category is the right because the IAWTV is International already. I have had many discussions with people about the IAWTV and why they haven’t joined or aren’t going to submit, and I hope we hear more from people about it. It is very reassuring to see that webseries from outside the US are entering and I hope that trend will pick up.

8. admin  •  Oct 26, 2011 @11:40 am

Hi Rob,

I know some people have very mixed views about the IAWTV and the awards so I wanted to get my thoughts on it out there to hopefully get some discussion going. We need to hear from people because things will never move forward otherwise. Hopefully I’ll get out to Van soon and we can talk more and get some things set up :)

9. Destini  •  Oct 26, 2011 @12:19 pm

I completely understand your post. We plan to submit our show as well fully knowing there is zero chance of getting nominated. But we feel, as you do, that we must do it as active members of the IAWTV who talk about inclusion of the indy productions and those outside LA and NYC.

10. Robb  •  Oct 26, 2011 @12:21 pm

I feel the same way. That’s why we’re submitting too. Even in categories where we almost CERTAINLY won’t be nominated. But, underneath all my skepticism, I’m ultimately an optimist.

…And I’ve already watched ALL of Mind My Brains, Darling! Because I want to be cool. :)

11. admin  •  Oct 26, 2011 @12:24 pm

Hi Destini,

I am so glad you are submitting Indie Intertube to the Awards and I hope you do go through. The next few months are going to be very interesting!

12. admin  •  Oct 26, 2011 @12:26 pm

Hi Robb,

I always knew you were one of the cool kids :) I hope VZW does go through because knowing you got through to fly the Zombie flag will feel a little like victory for us.

13. modelmotion  •  Oct 26, 2011 @5:33 pm

I enjoy ‘Mind My Brains, Darling!’ for its originality.

By far the best way to get exposure is to immerse yourself in the YouTube community, interact with other Web series, Web shows, Web news, and community videos. We are one large community and by interacting within this great community your show will get the attention it deserves.

14. Tom Konkle  •  Oct 26, 2011 @11:35 pm

I loved your post and it resonated with me because I grappled with entering my series in the IAWTV as well knowing they had zero chance of getting nominated.

We are proud of Invention with Brian Forbes and so in the end we decided you know what its eligible we will enter it and the new 3D version of Safety Geeks we felt was a move forward in the recutting, remastering and reshooting of it as the first 3D live action web series and we wanted to at least enter it to be considered after debating whether anyone in the IAWTV can even yet watch it in 3D as it is in 3D on the web but we are waiting for technology to catch up.

In the end for the same reasons you did and with the same feeling about it I chose to enter them as you did.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

15. admin  •  Oct 27, 2011 @12:12 pm

Great point, MM. I think we suffered from Social Media overload and setting up another YouTube account was at the end of that process. We already had ‘evilworldofhiglet’ set up years ago for our other work and because we were going with Blip, we didn’t necessarily spend the time we should have on YouTube. Thanks for the timely reminder :)

16. admin  •  Oct 27, 2011 @12:17 pm

Thanks, Tom, glad you enjoyed it. I’ve heard so many people talk about the space in recent weeks that have similar thoughts that writing about it seemed to be a good idea. Safety Geeks 3D was definitely the one show we knew of that would have been an absolute must for an ‘Innovations’ category. The problem is that we didn’t know how many other great shows are innovating quietly because it isn’t something that is talked about or lauded in our community. I was hoping to find more via the IAWTV awards, but without that category that won’t happen.

3 Trackbacks